Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Strawberry Jam Bread Pudding

Ok...first let me say this before you go any further. I am NOT a baker.... Baking is my least favorite culinary talent and I attempt to avoid it at all costs. But... #1 I'm attempting to change that fact about myself and          #2 with Bread Pudding I'm totally cheating the whole baking scenario but none would be the wiser. This is the perfect dessert for someone like me because it is so easy to prepare and then simply put it in the oven, set the timer, and forget. Strawberries are amazing right now so make sure to take advantage of it...They're as cheap, beautiful and tasty as they'll be all year and they are sooo many uses for him.. i.e. I can think of some delicious poolside drinks and fruit salads, pies, cakes, etc..




Variation of Bobby Flay's "Jam and Bread Pudding"

Ingredients

  • 1 loaf brioche, sliced 1/2-inch thick
  • 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons strawberry preserves.
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon whole milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
  • Fresh strawberries, for garnish.

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Butter a 9 by 13-inch glass baking dish. Arrange half of the brioche along the bottom of the dish, and cut or tear the slices to fit. Spread 3/4 cup of the jam on top and cover with the remaining bread.

Whisk the eggs, sugar, 2 1/2 cups of the milk, and the vanilla together; pour over the bread. Press to soak and brush the top with 4 tablespoons of the melted butter. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for 15 minutes longer or until the pudding is set. Remove from the oven.

Preheat the broiler. In a bowl, whisk the remaining 1 tablespoon of milk with the confectioners' sugar. Stir in the remaining melted butter and jam until the mixture is smooth. Spread the mixture over the top of the pudding, place under the broiler, and broil until the glaze is golden. Serve hot or warm, garnished with fresh strawberries.

Variations: I used croissants instead of the brioche and it worked beautifully and I put a white chocolate sauce over the top and I was very pleased with the results.

Note: Might want to let this bread pudding go about 45 minutes or so...I felt like the 30 minutes was not enough, but keep a close eye to make sure.

Brian Garner about the bread pudding said "This is awesome!"

No comments:

Post a Comment